It is always more pleasant to eat tasty and hot food. A device such as a food warmer will help in this. Currently, there are many models, so everyone can choose the right option for themselves. The main thing is to choose a quality product in order to use it for a long time without any problems.
What is marmite?
This is a cookware that involves additional heating of food, which helps it stay warm for several hours. At the same time, the dish does not lose its taste and aroma. A food warmer is a dish that differs depending on the type of food. Bowls can have compartments in which several dishes are heated at the same time, or be single. The temperature of food can be + 20 … 80ºС, which prevents it from boiling or burning. In addition, the dishes do not lose their juiciness and do not become hard and dry.
A food warmer is a cookware that is classified based on:
- heating method;
- material of manufacture;
What is marmite made of?
The device consists of certain elements:
- Lids. It can be retractable, removable or retractable. The most convenient way to open a food warmer is to lift it 180º.
- thermostat. The part is used to maintain the required temperature. The element is placed so that the cooks have access to it, but the visitors do not see it.
- Stand holder. Used to conveniently position the container on the surface. It should not stand out from the overall design of the device.
- Additional details. A food warmer for second courses in its design may include a humidifier, a fan, lighting, drawers to store cutlery, and so on.
What is marmite for?
The word marmite is translated from French as “cast iron”, “pot”. All over the world, this utensil is used to keep ready meals hot. Describing what a food warmer is, we note that more often such dishes can be found at various festive events, in buffet restaurants and other institutions where many people are fed at the same time.
Types of food warmer
Similar devices differ in many respects. According to their purpose, food warmers are divided into:
- baking containers;
- forms for drinks and sauces;
- containers for soups, pastas, cereals and so on.
The shape of the food warmer can repeat:
- a circle.
Heating of the food warmer can be carried out:
- from the mains;
- with the help of candles;
- from an alcohol burner;
- combined options.
Depending on the placement, food warmers are of the following types:
- stationary (bain-marie counter);
- desktop (mobile, portable);
According to the material of manufacture there are:
Ceramic food warmer
Almost perfect for home use. Ceramic food warmers are made when exposed to high temperatures, which makes the dishes heat-resistant and durable. In addition, these products are environmentally friendly. The appearance of ceramic food warmers for serving hot dishes is very beautiful, manufacturers decorate them with patterns, different images and three-dimensional drawings. Often the kit comes with a stand and candlesticks.
The advantages include:
- long-term heat retention;
- resistance to mechanical damage;
- attractive appearance.
The ceramic desktop food processor is endowed with the following disadvantages:
- high cost;
- absorbing odors and grease;
- brittleness of the material.
Metal food warmer
For the manufacture of dishes using medical steel, which is characterized by high strength. A table food warmer made of this material is a professional utensil that can be seen in catering establishments. Often there are steel food warmers, the surface of which can be:
- chrome plated;
The advantages of metal food warmers include:
- do not absorb flavors and fats;
- attractive appearance;
- food preservation of nutritional properties for a long time;
- possibility to wash in the dishwasher.
Among the shortcomings are:
- response to sudden changes in temperature;
- high thermal conductivity;
- ban on the use of chlorine-based care products.
glass food warmer
For the manufacture of use heat-resistant glass that can withstand significant changes in temperature. Dishes made from this material are popular because they are easy to clean and do not absorb odors. The dish can be cooked directly in the food warmer, and then put it on a heated stand and not worry that it will cool down. A food warmer for soup or other dishes can be decorated with metal inserts. Among the advantages of these products are:
- relatively low cost;
- lack of reaction to products;
- attractive appearance;
- low thermal conductivity.
The disadvantages include:
- rapid cooling;
- the possibility of surface damage by metal objects;
- uneven heating can lead to cracking.
stone food warmer
This material is used for the manufacture of household products. Such food warmers for the dining room are environmentally friendly, heat-resistant and durable. Among the advantages of stone food warmer can be identified;
- bright appearance;
- no oxidation;
- coverage reliability.
The disadvantages include:
- big weight;
- high cost;
- many fakes of natural stone;
- the need for meticulous care.
How are food warmers heated?
If the design is not endowed with thick walls that create the effect of a thermos, it is important to choose the right heating method to preserve heat. Tabletop food warmers for a heated house are divided into the following types:
Electric food warmer
Products with a similar heating system are represented by various models designed for restaurants and other catering establishments. The tabletop electric food warmer is equipped with thermostats that allow you to set the required temperature for food storage. Depending on the model, the values are in the range from +30 to 90ºС. The device works on the basis of the steam bath principle. The water that creates this effect is preliminarily collected in special containers located below.
Food warmer with burner
Similar devices are used at various outdoor events. Alcohol burners are made of high strength material. The duration of burning is on average 2-6 hours. Depending on the model, the number of burners and the dimensions of the containers differ. For high-quality work, it is important to choose the right fuel for food warmers. The quality composition is a mixture of ethylene glycol and water. The substance is enclosed in a rounded metal container. Weight can be:
- 160 g – burning time 4 hours;
- 280 g – consumption period 6 hours.
Complete with fuel, a special stand is mandatory, it is placed above the burner. To get the maximum effect from the composition, it is important to choose it correctly. Initially, they study the quality of the packaging, it should not have chips or other damage. This can break the seal and render the fuel unusable. The composition should not contain other elements.
Candle heated tabletop food warmer
Such devices, located on the table, not only allow you to have warm food for a certain time, but also create a pleasant, cozy atmosphere. A candle-heated tabletop food warmer is often used for buffets or lunches in open areas. The desktop food warmer for home use is the most convenient, because if necessary it can be easily moved. With compact dimensions, it can have a single or double bowl. Ordinary tablet candles are suitable for creating fire.
How to choose a marmite?
When choosing the right option, it is recommended to take into account the nuances:
- Heating method. In dry heat, you need to stir food all the time, this is suitable for soups. Second courses are heated on water.
- Power supply. The gas food dispenser saves money, the electric appliance is easy to install and safer.
- Number of food tanks. It is selected depending on how much food you are going to heat at the same time.
- Heating temperature. Modern models operate in the range + 20 … 90ºС.
- Production material. Ceramic food warmer retains heat much longer. Metal – lightweight and does not absorb odors. Glass – will help you enjoy the beauty of the dish immediately after placing it on the table.
- Cover type. The easiest option is a removable one. Convenient folding, but such models of food warmers will cost more.
How to use marmite?
In order for the self-sustaining heat pan to perform its functions, you need to place a hot dish in the container, serve it to the table and light a candle or use another method of maintaining the temperature, for example, plug it into the network. It is important to follow safety precautions so as not to get burned.
Many are interested in whether it is possible to cook in a food warmer in the oven. It all depends on the material from which the bowl is made, if it can be heated to high temperatures, then there is no problem. Maintenance of the device is also simple. It can be washed with dishwashing detergent, which is applied to a soft sponge and the surface is treated.
Rules for the operation of food warmers
All devices have an instruction manual that must be read and followed. A heated food warmer requires when using accounting rules:
- Burners and candles should not come into contact with any objects.
- The fire is lit before the dish is placed on the stand.
- If the food was taken from the refrigerator, it must first be warmed up and only then placed on the food warmer.
- If the container is not in a closed room, make sure that the flame does not go out.
- When choosing electrical appliances, it is important to check the health of the devices and grounding. Burners must not be left active if the containers are empty.
- It is recommended to turn off the heat a few minutes before the end of the meal.
- A food warmer in a water bath cannot be used if there is no water in the containers.
- After the end of operation, everything must be washed using warm soapy water and wiping dry with a cloth.