The correctness of baking a dish is directly related to maintaining the temperature at the right level. A quality oven thermometer can provide this. With its help, even a beginner will cope with cooking different dishes. The main thing is to choose the right model and use it according to the instructions.
Why do you need an oven thermometer?
This is a device that allows you to properly cook different dishes. The thermometer in the oven helps to understand after what time this or that product will be ready. Having set a certain level of heating, one cannot be sure that the air will warm up to this level. This can only be confirmed with a special thermometer. If it shows a level less than desired, you need to adjust the heating.
How to choose an oven thermometer?
A suitable model is selected depending on the functionality. The main criterion by which a thermometer for the oven is purchased is the type of device. In addition, it is important to consider the following parameters:
- Price. The lower the price, the worse the quality. For home use, a model from the middle price category is enough.
- Temperature range. Optimal indicators of values + 120 … 300ºС. With this device, you can control the readiness of different dishes.
- Mounting option. The most convenient way is removable or external.
- The size. The larger the model, the better the image on the display will be visible and the easier it is to set the desired temperature level.
- Manufacturer. Well-known brand products will broadcast more accurate readings.
Mechanical oven thermometer
This type is often built into the stove. A mechanical thermometer for gas ovens and electric models is easy to use and maintain, which is complemented by a low price. Degrees are displayed on a scale or dial. This group of devices can give data with an error. Thermometers are:
- placed on the oven rack.
It is important to remember that such a thermometer is short-lived and after a while, due to the constant deformation of the metal, it becomes impossible to obtain an accurate result. The advantages of this type of oven thermometer include:
- budget price;
- the simplest design;
- ease of cleaning;
- no need for maintenance.
Among the shortcomings are:
- poor accuracy of readings;
- to determine the temperature, you need to wait for heating.
Electronic oven thermometer
It is a device that determines the temperature in the oven with good accuracy. The downside is that such a device can only be used at a temperature of no more than + 280ºС, but for home use this is the most suitable option. The digital oven thermometer is endowed with the following functions:
- timer setting;
- sound signals;
- color temperature indicator;
- choice of dishes.
Among the advantages of this thermometer for the oven are the following points:
- accuracy of indications;
- attractive appearance;
- extended functionality.
The disadvantages include:
- expensive case made of heat-resistant steel;
- excess parts that can melt;
- the need to protect the housing from high temperatures.
Remote oven thermometer
The most convenient option, which at the same time has its pros and cons. The thermometer with a remote sensor for the oven consists of some parts:
- needle with a steel thermometer;
- the wire;
- block with a display for displaying information.
The probe-needle is inserted into the product and thus measures the temperature inside the product. An oven thermometer can have a needle between 8 and 20 cm long. The display is on the outside, so it should not overheat. Modern devices have sound indicators, which is convenient for full control. When the temperature of the food rises to the mark set on the display, a signal sounds.
Oven thermometer – rating
In order to purchase high-quality equipment, you need to navigate the list of the best models. The rating of popular brands looks something like this:
- Polder THM 515. The culinary thermometer has proven itself well when cooking various pastries. Temperature scale from +40 to 200ºС.
- Generic. The thermometer is suitable for gas or electric ovens. It is able to transfer heat up to 300ºС. It is placed on a special hook.
- Weber 6492. The design is endowed with a display that is placed outside the oven. The temperature is determined by a special probe.
- Gefu oven thermometer. German manufacturer. Range +50…300ºС. The design can be hung on a wire rack or placed on a baking sheet.
- Ivation IWAVT 738. A modern version of the thermometer, equipped with two radio units. You can select a program for cooking.
- Thermo Pro TP 06. The thermometer for the electric oven is equipped with a display. With it, you can cook meat of varying degrees of roasting, clearly fixing the time.
- Cason. Infrared thermometer. Operates at temperatures from -32 to +380ºС. Operates on recharging.
How to install a thermometer in the oven?
For a high-quality display of temperature, it is important to correctly position the thermometer. For the readings to be accurate, it must be placed as close to the dish as possible. The method of fastening is associated with a specific model. Consider how to fix the thermometer in the oven:
- There are options that are installed on the oven grill.
- Others are hung on hooks on the door or side. If there is no connecting element, it is strictly forbidden to use materials that melt and catch fire.
- Some products are glued to the inner surface. To do this, use a heat-resistant sealant or composition for the exhaust system of a car.
How to use an oven thermometer?
The operation process is simple and includes the following steps:
- place the thermometer according to the features of the model;
- set the temperature level;
- give the thermometer time to warm up;
- regulate the temperature of the furnace to such a level that the desired indicator is reflected on the display of the thermometer.
An external oven thermometer with temperature probes is used as follows:
- set the desired temperature indicators;
- immerse the probe in food;
- the baking sheet is placed in the oven and the display is left outside.
How to measure the temperature in the oven without a thermometer?
If there is no measuring device available, then you can use one of the following methods to determine the temperature:
- Application of flour. It is poured onto a baking sheet, where the dish is placed and observed. Flour will acquire a yellowish tint after heating to a level of + 180 … 200ºС.
- Using a sheet of paper. A makeshift oven thermometer is placed close to the dish and observed. The color of the paper changes to light brown when the temperature rises to + 200 … 220ºС.
- Leakage of a lump of sugar. This option is used in the preparation of desserts. Changes with sugar begin to occur at a temperature of +180ºС.