In recent years, a lot of all kinds of appliances and kitchen helpers have appeared, designed to facilitate and speed up the process of cooking. They also include a sleeve for baking. It is chosen by both lovers of baking and cooking in the oven (microwave, slow cooker, and so on), and everyone who prefers healthy food.
What is a baking sleeve?
We are talking about a film of not quite the usual texture. Transparent and rustling, it has one main advantage – resistance to high temperatures. If an ordinary packaging bag starts to melt when it comes into contact with a hot object, then baking bags do not have this drawback. Due to this property, they can be used for cooking a variety of food products: meat, fish, vegetables. By tightly tying the ends of the sleeves, you can avoid unwanted spreading of fat throughout the baking sheet and contamination of the walls of the oven.
What does a baking sleeve look like?
The product goes on sale in one piece, rolled into a roll. If necessary, a piece of the desired size is cut off from it, products are placed inside, and the ends are fixed with special clips or tied with strips of the same material that come with the kit. Those who are interested in what the baking sleeve is made of should answer that this is a special heat-resistant film called “modified polyethylene terephthalate”. It is also used to make baking bags, one side of which is already sealed, but the other should be fixed with clips or tape.
Baking sleeve properties
This product has the following properties:
- Heat resistant. It is worth paying attention to what temperature the baking sleeve can withstand, so it is + 220 ° C.
- Frost resistance. The properties of the baking sleeve are such that it can be used for freezing products without loss of quality.
- Can be used for steam cooking. As a result, they do not boil soft and do not lose their shape.
Which is better – foil or baking sleeve?
Both devices are widely used for baking food. An oven sleeve, like foil, can significantly speed up the cooking process, but they have some differences. The sleeve is able to swell strongly from exposure to high temperatures, so you need to position it correctly in advance so that it does not accidentally hit the cabinet walls and burst. Foil has no such drawback, besides it is the only material that can be used for grilling, charcoal meat and the like.
She is not afraid of temperatures even at + 600 ° C, but if the edges are not tightly connected, the juice released during cooking can flow out, and it is very easy to damage the foil with careless movement. In the baking sleeve, the food does not stick to the polyethylene walls, but even to the aluminum ones, especially if the sheet is not positioned correctly – with the matte side to the product, and the shiny side out. It is better to purchase both of these materials and use depending on the type of product, processing method and other features.
Pros and cons of a baking sleeve
The product has a lot of advantages, but it also has disadvantages. The first ones include:
- Ease of use. Everything is very simple: I filled the sleeve for baking, fixed the ends and put it in the oven, everything is easy and fast.
- The possibility of using not only in the oven, but also in the slow cooker, as well as in the microwave.
- The baking sleeve in the oven allows you to cook dishes without the use of fat in your own juice.
- Leaks and splashes of oil on the walls of the cabinet are excluded.
- Versatility. The baking film can be used for cooking a wide variety of products – meat, fish, vegetables, and so on.
- Availability. You can buy the product in any supermarket at a low price.
It has few cons, but they are:
- One time use. A new sleeve is needed for each dish, and the used one is disposed of in the wastebasket.
- The presence on the shelves of stores of both high-quality and frankly substandard products that tear, burst and even crumble under the influence of high temperatures.
Is a baking sleeve harmful to health?
For some, baking in an oven sleeve is undesirable, and all because people consider this product to be hazardous to health. In fact, there is no harm from it. It does not emit toxic substances when the temperature rises, so the sleeve can be used for cooking without fear for your well-being. However, this applies only to quality products. A film that bursts, crumbles or smells bad is best sent to the trash can.
What can be cooked in a baking sleeve?
Many dishes that have become familiar and loved in the family can be prepared with the help of a sleeve. These include:
- Meat and poultry dishes. Pork, lamb, beef, chicken, duck can be baked as a whole piece or cut into pieces. If you want to get a delicious crispy crust, you need to cut the bag from above and slightly push it apart. This must be done within 15-20 minutes. until ready.
- Fish dishes. A large baking sleeve will be needed if the fish is large: catfish, carp, silver carp and others.
- Vegetable dishes – potatoes, bell peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini and so on.
How to choose a baking sleeve?
When choosing such a product, you need to focus on the following features:
- brand awareness. This is not a car, but in order not to run into a obviously low-quality product, you should read reviews about it.
- Smell. A package that is safe for health should not have any specific smell. It is not provided for its release during cooking.
- Density of polyethylene. If possible, you should feel the film at the stage of purchase, evaluate its thickness and smoothness. If it seems too soft and crumbles in your hands, it is better to return the product to the shelf.
- Price. High price does not guarantee quality, but too low cost should alert.
- Application area. If you need a sleeve for baking in the microwave, then you should look for the corresponding inscription on the packaging with the product. This applies to the possibility of using in a slow cooker and freezer.
Baking sleeve – how to use?
There is nothing complicated in the operation of this product. Steps on how to cook in a baking sleeve:
- Cut off a piece of the desired size from the roll.
- Tie one end with the plastic tape that comes with the kit, or use the clamp provided by the manufacturer.
- Fill the product with products.
- Let the air out, and how to tie a baking sleeve is already known.
- Preheat the oven, put the dish on a baking sheet and send it to the oven.
Roasting rules up your sleeve
Many housewives are concerned about the question, is it necessary to pierce the sleeve for baking? Opinions were divided on this matter. Some think yes, others no. If the product is already perforated, then it is not necessary to pierce the sleeve. It should be ensured that when laying the products it is at the top and then the steam will freely go outside, and the contents will be baked. If the bag has swollen menacingly to a large size, then it is better to pierce it. This will save your nerves and allow you to get a delicious crispy crust.
- There are other rules for using a baking sleeve:
- It is better if the cooking temperature does not exceed 220 ° C, since there is a significant risk that the sleeve will burst.
- The surface of the sleeve must not come into contact with the walls and ceiling of the oven.
- This product cannot be used when the “Grill” mode is on.
- It is important to carefully unpack the bag after cooking, so as not to burn yourself with steam.
How to replace the sleeve for baking in the oven?
The main alternative is the baking bag, which was already mentioned above. If there is no such device, foil or parchment will help out. Foil is more convenient to use, because it is easily crushed and pinched in the desired position. Parchment will have to be fastened, for example, with a stationery stapler – this is what you can replace the baking sleeve with.