The benefits of a juicer can hardly be overestimated. It is needed for those who want to drink delicious and vitamin-rich freshly squeezed juices every day, and for those who want to “roll up” the benefits of seasonal fruits for the whole year ahead. To choose a juicer that is best suited for a certain range of tasks, you need to understand the types of these devices and their characteristics.
Types of juicers
According to the way in which juice is extracted from raw materials, several types of juicers are distinguished: centrifugal, screw, presses and special models for citrus fruits. To understand which juicer is better to choose, you should know their principle of operation.
The principle of operation is based on the action centrifugal force. Products are crushed on built-in graters and untwisted in a centrifuge, along the perimeter of which there is a fine mesh. Particles scatter to the sides, large ones (pulp, skins and dense fibers) are retained by this mesh, and the juice is pressed outward, where it is collected and goes into the bowl to the user.
Soviet-style juicers: bulky, noisy and jumping on the table, were just centrifugal. Modern models of equipment of this type look nice, take up less space, and work quieter. The centrifuge can be cylindrical or conical. The efficiency of the first option is up to 95% juice. However, the cake must be periodically cleaned manually, after partially disassembling the device. The conical separator is able to extract no more than 80% of the juice, but the solid residues themselves are collected in a special container. In this case, it is not necessary to stop work for cleaning. Centrifugal juicers have high performance and speed, suitable for home seasonal processing of the crop. There is a small nuance here: flying to the grid, the juice drops are saturated with oxygen, and the juice in the bowl foams. Foam can take up to 15% of the volume.
Important! Given the design features, this type of device is not suitable for working with dry, excessively fibrous products, such as carrots, as they will greatly clog the working grid.
An auger juicer can even be confused with a meat grinder, and it works on the same principle. An auger rotates in a hollow cylinder, grinding (kneading) fruits and vegetables. The juice from them flows into the bowl, the cake moves further along the screw and goes into a container to collect it.
The quality of the spin here is higher in all respects: the waste remains practically dry, the process itself takes place without heating, in a way that is delicate in relation to useful substances.. Such a device does not need to be stopped for cleaning and rest. It can process large volumes of fruit without interruption. With the help of such devices, you can mash vegetables, berries and fruits, as well as grind nuts into a paste.
There are several types of auger juicers, each of which has its own characteristics of operation and scope of use.
- vertical. In them the screw is located vertically. Products at the time of loading themselves are captured by it, the pusher is practically not used here. Due to the design features, such devices are compact in terms of space on the table, but high. Given that vegetables are also loaded from above, the installation location of such a juicer must be chosen carefully.
- Horizontal by design, they are as similar as possible to a meat grinder. The auger lies here, the products come to it through the loading tray. The hole is often small, so vegetables and fruits must be prepared in advance. Such a juicer is slower than a vertical juicer, but can process more products at a time. It is with the help of such devices that juice is squeezed out of greens, fruit puree and nut paste are prepared.
- twin screw juicers have maximum performance. They will help prepare juice or smoothies from fibrous and hard (for example, from carrots) products. This is a novelty in the technology market, and the price for them is often high. But the quality of both the technique itself and its work is at its best.
These are the simplest and cheapest devices. The principle of operation is as follows: the working nozzle is a ribbed hemisphere, on which half of the fruit is “put on”. Rotating, the nozzle crushes the pulp, squeezing out the juice. AT electrical appliances the working element rotates with the help of a motor. In manual ones, it is motionless, and the user himself rotates the fruit on the nozzle, while pressing on it.
Juicer – press
This is a gourmet device. Adherents of a healthy diet, as well as those who understand haute cuisine, argue that truly live juice can only be obtained in the press.
Important! The manual mechanical citrus press is designed to process a small range of products, in particular citrus and pomegranate. Pomegranate juice is not available in any other way.
The device has a low performance. 1 glass of juice will take a lot of effort. Operating principle – mechanical spin by crushing the fruit between the plates of the press. The original products are folded into a woven bag, which needs to be adjusted regularly. The cake from the fabric is removed manually.
Parameters for choosing a juicer
Choosing a juicer for your home or catering establishment is easy if you know what to look for. Understanding what parameters are key, you can buy the best option that will cope with the tasks most effectively.
Type of processed products
First of all, it is necessary to analyze which products will be processed more often, and in what volumes.
The most versatile are vertical auger juicers.. They cope with all juicy and fleshy fruits and vegetables, as well as fibrous and hard ones, such as carrots and celery. It is this juicer that is better to choose for the home to solve a wide range of tasks: preparing juices from seasonal fruits, purees and desserts from frozen berries, healthy smoothies from vegetables. These juicers compact and economical. But they are absolutely not suitable either in terms of their productivity or efficiency for working with large volumes of raw materials.
Horizontal screw devices for the most part belong to the higher price sector of technology. Most often they are equipped additional nozzles that expand the functionality: for squeezing oil from seeds and nuts, making puree. The speed and performance of devices of this type are even lower than those of vertical ones. Plus, they often have a very narrow loading tray, so the preparation of raw materials requires more effort and time.
Advice! Summer residents, and all those who have to process large volumes of juicy raw materials, for example, for a large number of apples, but do not intend to use hard and fibrous vegetables, a centrifugal juicer is best suited.
Occasional (seasonal) use of the device allows you to store it disassembled somewhere on the sidelines, so the impressive size will not be a problem.
For orange juice lovers A citrus juicer will do. But here it must be understood that apart from making juice from citrus fruits, she does not know how. However, if nothing else is needed, then why pay more for complex, bulky and rather expensive devices for a wider purpose.
Power and performance of the device
The performance of the device directly depends on its power. However, it makes no sense to buy a device with a power much higher than average. Yes, the rate of appearance of the drink will be higher. But on ordinary volumes, there will be no fundamental savings in time. At the same time, more powerful juicers noisier, more expensive.
For different types of devices, this indicator will vary greatly. This is due to differences in designs as well as expected performance (purpose).
- citrus juicers have an average power of 30-50 watts;
- screw 150-400 W;
- centrifugal 300-800 W.
Working element rotation speed
Manufacturers equip a good juicer speed switch. After all, each type of fruit is desirable to be processed under certain conditions. Including, what percentage of pulp will be in the finished product depends on the speed. Therefore, it will be right to choose a juicer with such a useful option.
The rotation speed of the centrifuge averages 8-10 thousand revolutions per minute. The screw moves at an average speed of 75-120 rpm. This speed allows it to efficiently perform its task and not heat up at the same time.
Juice tank volume
Juice may collect in built-in container or in a removable bowl. There are models that are not equipped with a container for collecting the drink. They have a spout under which you need to put a glass.
Citrus juicers do not have high performance, so their bowl is small: from 0.2 liters to 0.5 on average. Juicers of other types usually have a bowl of 0.5-1 l or more. This parameter should be selected based on the plans for the device: what, when and how much is planned to be processed.
When deciding which juicer to choose for vegetables and fruits, you should pay attention to the equipment of the device. Some models come with spare parts and accessories that expand the capabilities of the device, as well as simplify operation and maintenance:
- attachments for chopping and chopping vegetables;
- additional augers for puree and sorbets;
- removable/additional juice tank, accessories for it (lids, for example);
- for citrus juicers, additional nozzles that allow you to work with fruits of any size;
- accessories for comfortable maintenance of the device: assembly / disassembly, cleaning.
Additional juicer options
Extended functionality, additional security parameters – all this affects the cost of the device in the direction of increase, but also simplifies working with them, increases efficiency. Therefore, when deciding which juicer to choose, this issue is also worth considering. It is important to buy exactly what you really need and not pay for what you will never use.
As already mentioned above, advanced equipment makes the device multifunctional. What else to pay attention to?
- Safety system: engine cooling, protective fuses, indication of full juice container, overload and overheating.
- For centrifuges it is useful to have device for separating the foam from the drink.
- Availability reverse and pulse mode allow you to work out the raw materials more carefully, spending less time and energy on it.
- Availability comfort elements: “stop drop” system, labels on the juice container, a compartment for storing accessories; rubberized vibration-absorbing feet on the body of the device.
The cost of juicers of different types
For many, price is the deciding factor when buying a piece of equipment. The cheapest models often do not differ in quality, but this is not an axiom. The device can be inexpensive, yet be strong and cope with the task, and the low price will be due to a little-known (often domestic) brand, ascetic design and the complete absence of any additional functions. You can find out from the reviews of real buyers. The cost of expensive models includes a fee for the name, as a guarantee of quality (often unreasonably high percentage), the presence of fashionable chips and additional functions. Here you need to think: do you need all of this.
The advice is this: choose equipment according to its parameters, and it is better to choose a reasonably average price. Focus on real customer reviews.
- Cost of citrus juicers starts from 500 rubles for simple, miniature models with a power of 25-30 W to 3-4 thousand rubles for stylish devices that can make juice for a large family at a time. Exclusive citrus presses cost about 25 thousand rubles.
- Auger juicers expensive. The price range starts from 2.5-3 thousand for 200 W appliances from economy sector brands to 10 thousand for multifunctional devices. In the range of 5-6 thousand, you can find many interesting and reliable juicers.
- Centrifugal juicers you can buy from 2 thousand rubles. For 3-4 thousand there are devices that will help to prepare juice for the winter almost on an industrial scale.