The choice, purchase, delivery of a dishwasher, as the happy owners of this useful kitchen unit have already managed to make sure, is far from the most important thing. The greatest number of difficulties arise before connecting the dishwasher. How to choose the right place for a kitchen assistant? How to properly install and connect? What is the best socket to use? There are a lot of questions from inexperienced owners who are starting a difficult process for the first time, so it’s better to find answers to them in advance, this will help to adequately cope with the task.
Where to place the dishwasher in the kitchen
Before you connect the dishwasher with your own hands, you will have to spend a little time choosing a place to install the kitchen unit. There are a few simple rules that will help make the task much easier.
Attention! Earned on our site kitchen constructor. You can get acquainted with it and design the kitchen of your dreams for free! You can also use a wardrobe designer.
When choosing a place for a dishwasher, you should be guided by the following rules:
- Observe the distance between the dishwasher and other household appliances, the minimum indent is 15 cm. It is even better to leave a gap of 40-50 cm and place a cabinet between the units.
- Optimally position the dishwasher between two cabinets – this will ensure maximum stability.
- If possible, install a dishwasher near the kitchen sink, which will greatly simplify the connection process – it will be enough to purchase a regular splitter.
- The individual characteristics of the hostess should be taken into account – for a left-hander it will be more convenient to have the device near the left hand, for a right-hander the location of the device on the right will provide comfort.
- Make sure that the kitchen unit is near the cabinet with household chemicals – you don’t have to move around the whole kitchen, the necessary tools will always be at hand.
- The kitchen appliance must be located near the socket, which must certainly be grounded.
Make sure that the length of the drain hose is no more than one and a half meters. Otherwise, the load on the pump will be too high, the risk of breakdown increases several times.
Features of installing a dishwasher
Before connecting the dishwasher, it is recommended to carefully study the installation features of the kitchen appliance. Each unit, regardless of the brand, has its own technical documentation, which is better to familiarize yourself with in advance – usually the installation features of this particular device model are detailed here.
Connection takes place in several stages:
- Choosing a place, ensuring a horizontal stable position (if necessary, a chipboard plate is attached to the wall, which ensures the reliability of the installation).
- Preliminary preparation of all systems necessary for the smooth operation of the device.
- Connection to the energy carrier, drainage system, water supply.
Inattention, mistakes made when connecting, threaten an imminent breakdown of the unit, termination of the warranty. Liquid leakage, short circuit – only a small part of the problems that can occur if the device is installed incorrectly.
What you need to connect a dishwasher
To install the dishwasher, you will need certain tools and accessories (some are included with the unit). It is better to immediately make a list and have everything at hand – this will allow you not to be distracted by searches and quickly install the device.
To install a dishwasher, you will need to stock up in advance:
- wire cutters;
- with a sharp knife;
- ball valve;
- siphon (ordinary tee for a sink);
- socket (required with grounding);
- connecting hoses (often already included with the kitchen unit);
- fixing clamps;
- drill with several nozzles.
You will also need adjustable wrenches and several screwdrivers with different tips.
How to install a dishwasher yourself
A careful study of the instructions for the kitchen unit, ingenuity and a little experience will help you quickly and without any problems install the dishwasher. Even a novice owner will be able to cope with the task – regardless of the model, installation is carried out according to the same dishwasher connection scheme.
The first step is a careful inspection of the unpacked unit. If external damage is found, it is recommended to immediately contact the store and replace it, otherwise there is a risk of an early breakdown. If there are no visible chips, scratches, you can proceed with the installation.
Installation of built-in dishwasher
Having decided on the most suitable place for a fully built-in dishwasher, having previously assembled all the tools and accessories, you can get to work. When installing a dishwasher in furniture, dimensions are of no small importance. It is recommended to carefully measure all surfaces several times – an error of a few millimeters will force you to change the unit or spend a lot of time, be creative to carry out the installation.
The installation of the kitchen unit consists of several stages:
- Remove the shelves from the selected cabinet, you can install a small dishwasher under the sink, remove the door (it is advisable to choose a model with adjustable wheels for the built-in dishwasher, it will be easy to twist them to the required height).
- Put a tee on the pipe with cold water (if there is no stopcock, install it immediately, then it will be quite difficult to do this).
- Wrap all joints with fum tape, which will serve as an excellent sealant.
- Install a siphon.
- Run the hose, make sure that it is at a height of at least half a meter from the floor, attach it to the wall, the walls of the nightstand, use special clamps.
- Connect the hose, installed siphon, bend at the required angle. If the length of the hose is insufficient, it is not recommended to grind it – a flood cannot be avoided later.
- Move the built-in compact dishwasher to the bedside table, if possible, immediately install it in the right place.
- Connect intake and drain hoses.
The last step in integrating the dishwasher into the finished kitchen is to check the reliability of all joints, fully push the unit into the nightstand, and wash the dishes for the first time.
Installing a Tabletop Dishwasher
If there is not enough space for a kitchen assistant, it is recommended to purchase a compact unit that is installed on the table. The dimensions of the dishwasher do not affect the quality of washing dishes; there will also be no problem in installation. The Bosch dishwasher is especially easy to install (it is this brand that is most popular with housewives due to its quality and ease of connection). It will be possible to cope with the work even in the absence of experience, the main thing is to carefully read the technical instructions.
Step-by-step installation of the desktop unit:
- Choose a suitable countertop, the place should be convenient and accessible so that the loading of dishes occurs without difficulty. If possible, it is recommended to install a solid shelf that will save space, most conveniently position the unit.
- The place should be located in close proximity to the sewer, electrical outlet, water pipe.
- Shut off cold water.
- Install a special tee crane that allows you to leave the outlet on which the crane is installed free.
- Screw the filter to the left free outlet. Do not forget about the sealant – the winding must be carried out against the thread.
- Mount the siphon (connect the hose to the fitting, secure the connection with a clamp), screw the inlet hose to the flow filter.
Carefully check all connections, correct errors if a leak is detected, otherwise the dishwasher will end up with unpleasant consequences, including even a breakdown of the unit.
It is easy to do all the work in just half an hour, but it is better not to rush, because it is not the deadlines that are important, but the quality. After each completed step, it is recommended to carry out a check – this will avoid annoying mistakes.
Connecting the dishwasher to the water supply and sewerage
Particular difficulties for novice owners usually arise with the connection of the dishwasher to the water supply or sewerage. The results of mistakes are a spoiled mood, a reproachful look from his wife, a dishwasher failure. In order to prevent such problems, it is recommended to carefully study all the features, nuances and tricks of installing a kitchen device.
If there are doubts about the correctness of the actions and even the instructions do not explain how to carry out the installation, it is recommended to first consult with a specialist. A professional will explain in detail how to carry out the installation step by step, to avoid mistakes. It should be remembered that the life of the kitchen appliance depends entirely on the correct connection.
How to connect a dishwasher to the water supply
It will be possible to independently connect the dishwasher correctly without any problems if you have already had to deal with the installation of the washing unit. The step-by-step processes are no different, so you will be able to cope with the work in the shortest possible time. The devices are identical even with hoses with the same diameter, cap nut, sealing gasket, which has a filter in the form of a metal fine mesh grid. It is first recommended to make sure that the dishwasher hose is the correct length, lengthening will not help here in any way – even the most reliable joint will not help to avoid leakage. It is better to take care in advance and purchase a hose of the required length.
The easiest way to connect the dishwasher hose is to install a shut-off valve at the point where the water supply is connected to the kitchen faucet. In this case, there will be no difficulties – it is enough to disconnect the flexible connection on the cold pipe and install a tee tap (in everyday life it is called a through tap). Dock the previously disconnected mixer hose to one of the ends (where there is no tap). To the end on which the tap is located, it remains to connect the hose that supplies water to the kitchen unit.
If it is not possible to mount a kitchen appliance near a water supply, the task becomes more complicated. You will have to do soldering of polypropylene or metal-plastic, which is far from being possible for everyone – you will need the necessary skills, tools, and devices. In this case, it is better to let professionals act, it is easy to make unwanted mistakes on your own.
How to properly connect the dishwasher to the sewer
The easiest step in installing a Bosch dishwasher or another model is connecting to the sewer. It is important to take care of the length of the flexible outlet in advance – if necessary, you will have to build up or purchase a hose of the right size. If there is no opportunity or time to go to a hardware store and make a purchase, it is recommended to use a special connector made of durable rubber (usually comes already on a purchased flexible outlet). The extended hose is attached to the sewer outlet – just insert a tight rubber seal (a simple cuff).
Difficulties will have to be faced if there is no outlet on the sewer pipe. The best place to organize the desired node is the junction of the kitchen sink and the drain siphon. It is recommended to go the simplest way – to disconnect, install an additional tee. As a result, instead of one outlet, you get two, to one of which it remains to connect the drain of the dishwasher. Connect the sink siphon to the second.
Another option for connecting the unit to the sewer is a stationary supply. Usually they encounter a similar installation method with a large distance from the dishwasher to the sewer pipe. It is important to consider that too much depends on the length of the hose – an increased load on the device will lead to rapid wear of the nodes. Carrying out a special supply will allow the water to drain on its own. The hose from the dishwasher must fall at an obtuse angle, any sagging is unacceptable, otherwise it will be too difficult for the pump to cope with even a small amount of liquid.
What socket is needed for the dishwasher
Of no small importance in the installation of the dishwasher is the choice of outlet. It is strongly not recommended to use an extension cord – if moisture gets in, the consequences are quite difficult to predict. Use the extension cord only if necessary, without leaving the kitchen unit turned on when the owners are not at home.
It is forbidden to place an extension cord between plastic pipes, near a tap, near gas appliances. If it breaks, it can damage the plastic, provoke a leak, even cause a fire.
To avoid trouble, it is better to take care of the convenient location of the dishwasher near an electrical outlet in advance. Choose an adapter made of durable plastic, with a smooth surface, without chips, scratches. Poor fixation of the components of the device, fragility, a thin wire and a plug poured out of low-quality rubber are a reason to refuse to buy. It is better not to save money and purchase a reliable adapter of a well-known brand that will last a long time.
If possible, it is better to bring a separate electrical wiring to the dishwasher, especially with a built-in oven with a dishwasher – the load during operation of both appliances will be too high. Laying a new line is best left to professionals. Inexperience or carelessness in work can lead to an accident. The socket should be placed low from the floor, the recommended height is from 15 to 40 cm. It should be borne in mind that combustible materials (carpet, linoleum, laminate) may be on the floor, so make sure that there is a sufficient distance between the socket and the floor covering.
How to install the facade on the dishwasher
Another question that often arises when installing a kitchen appliance is how to install the facade on a dishwasher. You should not immediately tune in to complexity – it will be easy and simple to carry out installation even in the absence of experience. For work you will need:
- screwdriver with several nozzles;
- several furniture panels;
- countertop in the color of the kitchen set;
First, a handle is attached to the facade, which will open the device, fasteners are installed that connect to the door of the unit. Carefully inspect the surface of the facade in advance – usually markings have already been applied here indicating where to make holes. Do not engage in experiments – drill in strictly indicated places.
Finish fastening the facade to the dishwasher by inserting the fasteners into the grooves that are located on the surface of the device. It is also necessary to remove the short bolts located on the inside, replace them with longer ones. At the same time, it is recommended to adjust the springs (just turn the screws).
How to arrange dishes in the dishwasher
Having installed a kitchen device, it is recommended to take into account the rules for washing dishes using the unit, otherwise even compliance with all installation requirements will not help to avoid trouble. The first thing to do is to remove all large pieces of food with a special brush. Pay special attention to remove particles that have dried to the surface, which can damage fragile and delicate kitchen appliances (decorative cups, plates, crystal, ceramics) during the washing process.
Basic rules for the location of kitchen appliances, dishes in the unit:
- place the plates below, slightly at an angle (tilt forward), make sure that the surfaces do not touch, otherwise pieces of food, foam will remain on the products;
- deep containers (cups, bowls, glasses) should be placed in the upper part, preferably upside down (with minor contamination, a slight slope is sufficient);
- plastic, regardless of size, should be placed at the top (the temperature below is quite high, it is easy to damage products that are demanding on temperature conditions);
- stewpans, pots, pans should be placed only from below, make sure that all items are upside down or at an angle;
- cutlery should occupy a special tray, always down with handles.
It is important to ensure that even spoons or forks do not touch each other, otherwise the washing results will not please you too much – you will have to additionally rinse in the sink.
Installing a kitchen dishwasher is not at all a complicated process, especially if you first carefully familiarize yourself with all the subtleties and nuances of the work. After studying the instructions, you can proceed with the installation – act carefully and carefully, check each stage several times. This will allow you to avoid mistakes, extend the terms of the impeccable work of the dishwasher, which will certainly perform part of the kitchen duties for many years, making life easier for the hostess.