Rusty sediment inside the kettle is not only tasteless, but also very harmful. Most often, it appears due to the properties of the water used, especially if it is hard and contains various salts, minerals and trace elements. How to clean the kettle from rust inside? It turns out there are many different ways.
What is harmful rust
The appearance of such a formation is impossible not to feel – the water becomes very bad aftertaste. At the same time, other problems appear.
- If the kettle is electric, the rust that has settled on the spiral interferes with the normal heating of the water. The time allotted for this increases many times (together with the consumption of gas and electricity).
- Water with elements of rust enters our body, which is fraught with the appearance of serious diseases.
- Working equipment is thrown out only because of the appearance of rust, which can be easily removed.
- Finally, rust can simply corrode metal and finally ruin the dishes.
And since the problem can be calmly dealt with, it remains only to figure out how to do it.
Features of cleaning an electric kettle
In an electric kettle, rust forms on the metal heating element. Rye plaque is recommended to be removed with food acids. In case of severe damage to parts, you can use a special chemical agent.
The use of citric acid
The procedure consists of the following simple manipulations.
- The reservoir of the device is filled with water up to the maximum allowable volume.
- Pour a package of citric acid powder into a teapot. The ingredient is available in bags weighing 10-15 grams.
- Turn on the device. After boiling the lemon solution, wait 10 to 20 minutes, and boil the contents again.
- Pour out the contents, let the device cool down and wipe the inside with a sponge, rinse.
- Collect water, boil and drain.
To clean a device slightly contaminated with rust, you can use fresh lemon instead of acid in a powdery consistency. The principle is the same: the electric kettle is filled with water, a lemon cut into slices is placed inside. Lemon water is boiled and cooled several times, after which it is rubbed and rinsed. For ease of cleaning, the sponge can be replaced with a toothbrush.
Cleaning with Vinegar and Baking Soda
In the chemical reaction of baking soda with vinegar carbon dioxide is produced under the influence of which rust plaque is destroyed. The option is suitable for glass and metal teapots. The cleaning procedure is carried out in the following order.
- Fill the appliance slightly more than halfway with water. Add 6-9% vinegar to the remaining volume of the tank.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of baking soda into the solution and wait for the chemical reaction to complete.
- Turn on the device. After boiling the kettle, wait until it cools down.
- Drain the solution and rinse. Wipe the remaining brown traces of rye inside the electric kettle with a sponge or toothbrush dipped in vinegar solution.
To dissipate the smell of vinegar, rinse the kettle several times.
Kumkumit Cleansing Liquid Bagi
It is not always possible to clean the apparatus with food acids and alkalis. A special household cleaner “Kumkumit” Bagi successfully copes with rust and lime deposits inside the electric kettle. Cleaning fluid recommended for cleaning metal and plastic devices. The chemical formula of the product includes citric acid and other drugs. The release form of the liquid is bottles with a capacity of 0.35 liters. The market price is in the range of 150-250 rubles.
There are two step-by-step procedures available.
- Evenly on the inner surface of the kettle with a sponge, apply 50-100 ml of cleanser. Maintain a 5-minute pause.
- Fill the tank with 0.5 liters of water and boil.
- Drain the solution. Rinse the kettle. Collect clean water, boil and drain.
- Fill the appliance 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Pour 100 ml of cleanser into the teapot.
- Take a break for about 20 minutes.
- Discard the solution and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Features of cleaning an enameled kettle
The enameled surface is cleaned of rusty deposits with soda, a solution of table vinegar or household chemicals.
Using vinegar solution
The method consists of the following step-by-step manipulations.
- In the evening, boil about 3/4 of the water in a kettle.
- Fill the remaining container with 9% vinegar. For greater efficiency, you can add a tablespoon of ordinary salt to the solution.
- Leave with a kettle of vinegar solution overnight.
- Drain the liquid, rinse the kettle thoroughly.
- If there are any remaining rust stains, scrub the surface with a brush.
- Rinse the kettle thoroughly.
To get rid of the smell of vinegar, boil clean water in the appliance and drain.
Use of baking soda
Soda is milder than acid and does a good job of cleaning the enamel surface damaged by cracks and chips. This method is also suitable for cleaning aluminum kettles. The algorithm of actions is the following.
- Prepare a soda solution based on the proportion of 1 tbsp / 0.5 l.
- Pour the prepared liquid into the apparatus and boil.
- Pause and boil again.
- Drain the liquid, wipe the surface with a soft sponge and rinse thoroughly.
The amount of soda solution poured into the kettle depends on its capacity. It is important that the walls affected by rust are completely covered with the solution.
To avoid damage to the enamel, it is not recommended to apply soda to the walls. with a sponge or brush.
Anti-rust liquid Cillit Bang
The assortment of household chemicals of the Cillit brand includes a large number of products. To clean the inside of the kettle from rust, it is recommended to choose a specialized Cillit anti-rust agent. This tool is a liquid packaged in plastic bottles with a capacity of 0.55 liters. The cost of one bottle is about 170 rubles. Suitable for removing rust from intact enamelled surfaces (no chips or cracks).
The basis of the cleaning liquid is acid, so you should take care to protect your hands with rubber gloves. A few drops of the product should be moistened with a sponge and smeared on the inside of the teapot. Pause for no more than 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly to remove agent. Wipe dry.
Do not use Cillit Bang Anti-Stain and Rust to clean aluminum and damaged enamel surfaces.
Other ways to remove rust
You can also remove rusty plaque with the help of non-standard solutions. It will be interesting to learn about some of the unique ways in which utensils are cleaned.
- Spread on a damp surface washing powder, which is left to act for 20 minutes. Now half of the potato enters the “battle”, which is carefully rubbed on this place. It remains only to rinse the device, but this must be done with special diligence.
- popular drink “Coca Cola” can also help eliminate the threat of corrosion. You need to pour it into a teapot and leave it overnight. In the morning, the device is wiped with a sponge and soap and washed with water. If the inner coating in the kettle is white, then it is better to use a drink like Sprite or 7-UP – they have a minimum amount of dyes.
- Remained cucumber pickle or tomatoes? Feel free to pour it into the teapot. The whole secret is in the necessary consistency of citric acid and vinegar used for canning. The recipe is simple: add brine, pour over the dishes, bring to a boil, cool, drain. Of course, an unpleasant specific smell will remain, which can be removed by thoroughly washing the dishes.
- Useful and spoiled milk. It is enough to fill the kettle with a drink to one third of its volume, bring to a boil and leave for a short time for a reaction.
- Another popular way is to use peeling potatoes, pears and apples. Usually it is used for an enameled or steel teapot – the contents are put into the dishes, boiled and left for several hours. After that, it is necessary to drain the contents and boil again with clean water. Such a procedure is enough to completely wash all the bad contents.
Do’s and Don’ts
There are a lot of recipes, but not all of them are recognized as really effective. For example, folk will help only at the initial stage of education, and in serious cases they will only affect scale, not rust. Do not use mechanical cleaning grades such as steel wool or sandpaper. Any scraping will damage the inner coating, but will not bring the desired result.
There is no benefit in the use of aggressive formulations based on sulfuric and hydrochloric acid. Firstly, it will definitely damage the inner coating, and secondly, it will leave an unhealthy aftertaste. It is very important to ensure good flushing, and the water boiled after that will have to be drained at least a couple of times.
It is better not to look for ways to eliminate rust, but from the moment of purchase, think about preventing its occurrence. To do this, it is enough to follow simple rules.
- Boil only filtered water. A distilled version will also work.
- Do not leave liquid in the kettle after preparing a hot drink. It is important to leave the device dry, because the remaining liquid will produce calcium.
- Rinse the kettle after each use.
- Conduct preventive cleaning teapots every month. This will save you the energy to fight rust and the budget for buying a new appliance.
Thus, it is possible to easily and affordably remove the rust that has appeared in the technique. But it’s better not to bring it to such a state.