You can go to any grocery store and buy fresh bread without any problems. In many outlets, several varieties of this product are offered at once. However, modern housewives have a great alternative. You can prepare bread that perfectly matches the tastes of the family or the doctor’s prescriptions. All that is required is to buy a modern machine, an automatic bread machine.
However, no technique is immune from breakdowns. A malfunction in a home bakery can take you by surprise. It can, of course, be taken to a service center, but some malfunctions that have arisen in a bread machine can be eliminated on your own.
Bread machine device
When operating an automatic bread machine, the hostess is required to make a mixture of dough ingredients and place them in a bucket in the machine body. And then just choose your preferred program of work. During its execution, the device may stop if raisins or other components are required to be added to the bread according to the recipe. Or just notify you when the baking is over.
The bread maker consists of several functional blocks, some of them are unique and exist only in this class of devices.
The body of the machine is made of heat-resistant plastic. It serves as a supporting structure for the other components of the system. Devices for control, management, programming are attached to its walls. The engine and other functional parts are fixed here.
In the hinged cover of the case is done viewing window made of transparent plastic. Through it, the hostess can monitor the baking process. In particular, it has the ability to suspend the execution of the program or adjust the time of one or another stage of its execution.
In inexpensive bread machines, the body is made only of plastic. In products claiming luxury, it is covered with metal or decorated with inserts. In the segment of expensive cars, there are models whose body is made entirely of steel.
A bucket with dough is placed in the heating chamber. Its walls transfer heat to future bread. This part of the design completely encloses the bucket so that baking occurs evenly. The assembly may contain one or more heating elements.
A bucket for dough is an element that is understandable to everyone. At the bottom of the bucket is a spatula (one or a pair). At a certain stage of the execution of the working program, it rotates, mixing the dough. But there is no trace of a spatula on the finished bread. Such a phenomenon, incomprehensible to some housewives, is caused by the special design of the blade: it develops after the end of the mixing stage. This can happen when the rotation of the drive motor is reversed. Or the blade is removed by a separate actuator.
The rest of the design of the bread machine does not require a special description.
- The motor that drives the blade.
- A control system containing executive commands for sets of baking programs.
- Temperature control units, power supply, means of visual and sound notification.
- The cable that the hostess plugs into the outlet in her kitchen.
General principle of operation
The general principle of operation of the bread machine can be described in several paragraphs.
- A mixture of ingredients is placed in a bucket.
- The housing cover is closed to trigger protection systems.
- The baking program is selected or set manually.
- The device kneads the dough.
- Time is allowed to rise the test. Sometimes, if the program requires it, the specified temperature is maintained inside the bucket.
- A secondary kneading is performed to remove the formed gases from the dough.
- The machine pauses again to raise the dough.
There may be intermediate steps in the program, such as stopping to add raisins. But it always ends the same. The machine turns on the heaters and bakes the dough at controlled temperatures.
What can break
Like any complex device, a bread maker can suffer from breakdowns or failures in individual components. The instruction manual for each machine contains a list of typical malfunctions and methods for their elimination. Briefly, this list looks like this:
- the machine does not turn on due to a fuse blowing, a break in the network cable, or a banal lack of voltage at the outlet;
- the agitator may dry up to the shaft and not be removed;
- if the drive belt breaks, the relay breaks or the engine fails, the dough does not mix;
- the bread is not baked, the dough does not rise when there is a failure in the control system of the heating elements;
- raw bread, burns in case of failures in temperature sensors;
- the bucket leaks when the bearings are jammed, the seals are worn;
- when the seals are worn out, the bread may not be baked due to moisture leaving, the same problem occurs when the mains voltage is reduced.
Also, do not neglect the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you use metal objects to stir the dough or remove the finished bread from the mold, there is a risk of damaging the non-stick coating on the surface of the bucket.
How to disassemble a bread maker
Some types of bread machine repairs can be done by hand. For example, replace the drive belt, install a new fuse, or clean the printed circuit boards from dirt accumulated on it. For work, you only need Phillips and straight screwdrivers. Disassembly is carried out in the following order.
- The device is disconnected from the network.
- A bucket for dough is pulled out of the car.
- The device is turned over to access the mounting screws.
- The screws are loosened.
- The machine is turned over into working position. Now you can remove the top cover.
- The screw fixing the heating element is unscrewed from the side wall of the chamber.
- Screws are unscrewed at the bottom of the chamber, after which it can be removed.
- After dismantling the working chamber, you can lift the upper segment of the housing. This must be done carefully, sequentially disconnecting the wire blocks of the power supply and the control board.
After these operations, access to all structural elements is opened. You can detach the chassis by unscrewing the screws on the bottom. Or remove the control board, engine, oil seals and drive belts. The assembly of the machine must be done in reverse order.
It should be especially noted that different models of bread machines may differ in design and have their own unique disassembly method. Therefore, before starting work, it is recommended to look for reference materials.
Thermal sensor malfunction
Depends on the correct operation of the temperature sensor the quality of the baked bread. If the thermostat is faulty, then the bread will burn, or vice versa, it will remain unbaked. It is this sensor that regulates the temperature in the bread maker during the baking program. The figure below shows, for example, what the Kenwood bread machine temperature sensor looks like.
Often, thermal fuses are located near the thermistor. They do not allow the temperature to exceed a certain one, in case of failure of the thermal relay.
After disassembling the baking unit, it will not be difficult to find these parts by external signs. It will also be easy to replace them with new ones, having previously bought them on the Internet or a service center.
Heating element burnout
It is very easy to suspect that the heater is not working: the bread simply will not be baked.. In order to check this, you need to disassemble the device:
- unscrew the screws at the bottom of the stove and inside it, opening the lid;
- then carefully detach the bottom from the case without breaking the wires;
- disconnect the wires from the terminal block;
- you will see a large metal tubular ring.
This is the TEN (tubular electric heater). In some models of bread machines, it may be inside an iron bucket container. You can check for burnout tester. If the burnout is confirmed, it must be replaced with a new one.
Software failure in the control module
If the bread oven began to behave strangely: some buttons stopped turning on, a signal for the end of baking appears when it just started, this may indicate a breakdown of the software module. Unfortunately, it is impossible to repair bread makers with such a breakdown on your own. This must be done by qualified personnel from service center. Otherwise, unknowingly, you can aggravate the malfunction and repair the module will be more difficult and expensive.
The electric motor has failed
This failure is easily identified. If you turn on the unit, and the agitator does not start to rotate and you do not hear the sound of a running engine, this means that the rotational movement is not fed to the bread machine belt from pulley – Faulty motor. The repair of this unit unit, as mentioned above, must be carried out by the master.
slipped off the belt
In the case when, after turning on the device, the noise of a running motor is heard, but the paddle does not spin, or when filling the ingredients, they do not mix well, then the cause of this may be wear or slipping of the toothed belt from the pulley.
The bread maker belt can be found by removing the bottom of the unit. By degree of wear the bread machine drive belt is determined whether it needs to be replaced with a new one.
No power supply
A common reason when the bread maker simply does not turn on is the lack of power supply. First you need to check electrical plug and the cord itself. Next, you have to check the power supply, usually pulsed. It has its own fuse. But do not rush and change it. If, after connecting a 100 W light bulb to the circuit, it lights up, then urgently turn off the power to further search for a short circuit. When the power supply is working, the light should not glow, it can only blink. The power supply usually consists of rectifier and capacitor. This is where the fault lies.
Do-it-yourself bread machine repair in this case is possible if you are at least a little versed in radio engineering.
Faulty reverse relay
In some inexpensive units, the paddle (agitator) is removed from the shaft. To do this, a hook is included with the device to extract it from the bread. But there are models when the agitator folds. If after baking on the product you find the imprint of the oar, then the reverse is faulty.. Repair to eliminate this trouble of the bread machine should take place with the participation of a specialist.
Broken bucket for ingredients
Repair of a bucket of a bread machine due to failure bearing and seal can be made by yourself. Symptoms that this is exactly the cause are as follows:
- there was a small leak from the container;
- wedging or complete jamming of the shaft.
For a better understanding, below is a do-it-yourself LG bread machine repair regarding the replacement of the bearing and oil seal (unit model LG HB-155CJ).
- It is required to get a bucket and remove the ring, which is a stopper for holding a metal washer with plastic paws on the shaft. At this stage, the ring set for bearing fixation may not be touched.
- The next step is to pull the bearing out of its seat. It is impossible to knock on the bucket, as it is fragile and can break. It would be right to use a special two-finger puller. The puller is fixed in a position when its hooks are well fixed in the grooves on the bucket body.
- A metal plate 1-2 mm thick will need to be placed on the bearing shaft.
- After that, start screwing the axis of the fixture until the oil seal from the bearings falls out from the inside of the bucket. The next photo clearly shows the poor condition of the parts.
- Now you can remove the fixation from the bearing.
- Next, you need to remove the defective part from the shaft using the same puller and clean it of dirt using alcohol (Do not use solvents or gasoline to clean the shaft).
To continue, you will need to purchase necessary spare parts: 608 ball bearing (outer diameter 22 mm, inner diameter 8 mm, height 7 mm) and special white oil seal.
Then in reverse order:
- Slide the bearing onto the shaft and install the retainer.
- Carefully press the bearing into place. It should be cooled before installation. You can also heat up the bucket. Impacts during pressing are not allowed.
- Now you can fix the shaft with a special stop washer.
- In conclusion, you will need to install the gland. Bread machine bucket repair is over!
Not all possible breakdowns of the bread baking unit were considered, since it is impossible to list them completely, and this depends on the features of models of different brands. However, you can fix some malfunctions using this instruction yourself.