A kitchen hood is an important piece of equipment that creates comfortable conditions for cooking and eating. Untimely cleaning of the filter and grate reduces the performance of the unit, allowing the formation of soot in the kitchen. The exhaust hood, which eliminates unpleasant odors and prevents the formation of soot, must also be cleaned periodically. An increase in operating noise and a decrease in productivity are the first factors in the pollution of cleaning equipment. How and how to clean the hood inside and out – read the material below.
How often should the hood be cleaned?
According to the rules, the device is cleaned once every four weeks. If you have a large family, or you cook a lot, you will have to do this more often, at least once every half a month. Rare cooking will free you from unnecessary cleaning, you can do it once every 2-3 months. It is best to clean off grease and food residue while the entire coating is still fresh.
Consequences of intermittent cleaning:
- the filter is clogged with grease;
- the efficiency of the device is reduced;
- noisy operation of the device;
- change for the worse in the appearance of the entire hood;
Advice! It is recommended for good operation of the equipment once every two years to disassemble and clean all elements and lubricate the engine.
Preparation for work
Wiping the surface of the appliance does not mean cleaning the hood. To properly carry out the entire cleaning process, you need to partially disassemble the mechanism, and then assemble it. Therefore, you need to read the instructions before work. All devices have the same maintenance points:
- turn off the device from the electrical network;
- remove the top panel and remove the grease trap;
- circulation hoods also have a carbon filter – it cannot be washed, but replaced about once every six months with a new one.
If a steel grease trap, then you just need to rinse it, but do not change it. If it is made of other materials, it must be changed once a quarter.
Extractors are of two types.
- Flow Models. Remove air from the kitchen to the street through the ventilation. Therefore, in them, the grease trap closes the motor from food plaque. In flow models, it is required to clean the ventilation duct from time to time.
- Circulation devices. They clean the exhaust air and return it back. They have a charcoal filter, which needs to be changed periodically.
The use of folk remedies
Affordable and effective options for cleaning grease from any hood in the kitchen are home remedies. The ingredients for such cleaning mixtures are always at hand for any housewife.
Treatment with soda solution
This is the fastest, safest and cheapest way to clear the grid. The procedure includes the following steps:
- Select a container that can boil the grate in solution, depending on its dimensions. If it is large and does not fit in any pan, you can take any dishes into which it will fit in width and clean from both sides in turn.
- Preparation of soda solution: 0.5 tbsp. dilute soda in 3 liters of water.
- The cleaning process takes 20-30 minutes, depending on the degree of contamination.
In a boiling soda solution, particles of any origin are separated, while the structure is not scratched.
Treatment with ammonia
If the pollution is old, and when boiling in the soda solution, there are residues of pollution, you can wash the grate of the hood with ammonia. For these purposes, you need 0.5 tbsp. alcohol diluted in 3.5 liters of hot water. Considering that ammonia has Strong smell, it is better to carry out the procedure in a mask so as not to burn the mucous membrane, as well as open the window. The soaking process will take 1-1.5 hours, after which the mesh can be washed under running water and dried with a towel or napkin.
The use of a soapy solution requires a rough cleaning of the hood from fat, since a sponge will not help much for these purposes. Here you need plastic or metal scraper. To prepare the solution, it is necessary to dissolve the usual 72% laundry soap in hot water, with a concentration of 0.5 bar of soap per 3 liters of water. Small parts can even be boiled, and the mesh can be rubbed with a solution and mechanical processing can begin.
If you don’t know how to clean a greasy hood grate, try this method: acetic acid treatment is also an effective way to remove sticky grime. The smell is pungent, so it is necessary to provide access to fresh air. All the elements are rubbed with a sponge dipped in vinegar. 7-10 minutes are enough to separate the contaminants. After treatment with an acid solution, the parts should be washed in running water.
With weak pollution, you can use lemon, it, as in the case of acetic acid, is capable of break down fat particles. Lemon treatment of the hood body is very effective, which also attracts dirt and soot forms on it. Instead of lemon juice, you can use dissolved citric acid at the rate of 2-3 tbsp. for 1 liter of water.
If the above methods of cleaning the hood have not been successful, you can resort to the use of special cleaners.
Fresh fat pad can be washed off quite easily. For this, ordinary dishwashing liquid, which is used in the kitchen, is suitable.
- take a container for the removed grease filter, it should be slightly larger in size;
- pour dishwashing liquid onto the filter;
- add hot water and soak the filters for 30 minutes, while they should be completely covered;
- clean the elements of fat with a brush as far as possible;
- if it was not immediately possible to remove all fatty layers, repeat the procedure;
- rinse everything with clean water, dry;
- then install back into the hood.
This cleaning option is suitable if you regularly clean the appliance. Monthly cleanings do not require the use of other chemicals.
old fat just don’t wash it off. For him, you will have to use stronger chemicals:
- spray 1 minute;
- Gel Anti-Fat + Radiance;
- spray Anti-Fat;
- Synergetic gel.
Important! All these drugs have a strong effect on the respiratory system and human skin, so when using them, you need to take care of protection. Be sure to read the instructions carefully.
- place the elements to be cleaned in a container;
- cover the surface with a gel or spray, distributing the product evenly;
- leave for half an hour, unless otherwise indicated in the manual;
- after the required time, grease and dirt are removed and washed off with water.
The disadvantage of this option can be considered the high cost of drugs and their harm to the body.
How to clean individual hood elements
The cleaning process will take no more time than any other processing of kitchen appliances. Regular cleaning of the filter, even in an ordinary soapy solution, will not allow soot to settle on the grill and other internal parts. You can wash the elements of the exhaust hood in the dishwasher. Regular maintenance of exhaust equipment will reduce the cleaning time of all parts of the structure and extend the performance of the unit.
This part of the device is always in sight, so any housewife washes it much more often. For normal wet cleaning, dishwashing liquid is quite suitable. If you want to make the surface more shiny, use glass cleaner.
If the case has not been cleaned for a long time, a more effective method will be needed. Here are some options:
- spray or liquid for cleaning ovens and stoves;
- composition: 3 tbsp. soda ash, 100 ml of silicate glue, 0.5 tbsp. dissolve the washing powder in a glass of water and apply on the plane;
- rub the body with lemon juice, then rinse.
Advice! Brushes, metal meshes and abrasive powders are not recommended. They can damage the plane. Large deposits must be soaked or removed with a plastic scraper.
It can be difficult to clean the buttons – grease and food debris are clogged in them. For this use a toothbrush or cotton buds. You can soak them in the following ways:
- liquid, which is washed off the varnish;
- hydrogen peroxide.
Be careful not to ruin or damage the buttons.
For cleaning, the same substances are used as for washing the body. If a lot of plaque has formed inside, use pipe cleaner. But be sure to rinse it thoroughly.
Housewives with flow hoods may sometimes notice a deterioration in the draft of the device. This means that the air duct is clogged and needs to be cleaned. If the pipe is smooth, then it is not so difficult. smooth duct round or square shape is easy to disassemble, wash and assemble. Harder with corrugated pipes. Sometimes they are easier to change than clean, especially if they have accumulated a large amount of body fat.
Fan and motor cleaning
Before cleaning these items, read the user manual carefully to remember their attachment and location. Then carefully detach and wash the impeller with soapy water. The engine must not be wet: it is cleaned of dust and dirt as far as possible, then lubricated. This procedure is carried out once a year.
Useful tips for the hostess
Before carrying out the procedures, remember the rules:
- do not wash the replaceable filter, it must be changed, otherwise the device will not work well;
- do not boil plastic parts;
- do not use metal mesh and abrasive powders for cleaning;
- do not clean aluminum filters with alkali;
- ventilate the kitchen after cleaning.
Cleanliness in the kitchen is very important for any housewife. We can say that the methods described in the article are suitable not only for cleaning hoods. Vinegar, citric acid and soda are used to clean a wide variety of surfaces. To make the kitchen shine, read the rules for cleaning the gas stove and its electric counterpart, multicooker, microwave. Many do not suspect, but the dishwasher also needs regular cleaning, and our article will tell you how to do it right.